What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a therapy based on the use of essential oils extracted from herbs, flowers, roots, grasses and trees. The essential oils are used in massage, inhalations, compresses and various preparations.
Aromatherapy may be used both clinically and holistically.
Clinical Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils for specific conditions such as viral and bacterial infections; wound healing; pain; nausea; haemorrhoids.
Holistic Aromatherapy treats the whole person – body, mind, spirit – taking into account how you are that very day. A blend of essential oils is then chosen especially for you, and used with massage enables your body to regain its natural balance and healing process.
The stresses and strains of modern life result in a number of physiological changes in the body, such as headaches, muscular tension, back and neck aches, digestive upsets, along with emotional and psychological changes. The powerful combination of massage with skilfully chosen essential oils can help to ease these effects, facilitating healing and offering effective preventative treatment. The preventative and therapeutic discipline of Aromatherapy is flourishing and gaining recognition all over the world, being used in approximately 80% of Cancer Care centres in the UK.
Who can benefit from Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy (from a fully qualified practitioner) is suitable for anyone of any ages and most conditions. After a detailed consultation and assessment, I am able to choose the treatment most appropriate for you.
What is “Aromatherapy Massage?”
Aromatherapy massage is the use of essential oils with massage. I will make a blend of essential oils specifically for you on the day of your treatment, (rather than a pre-blended product). Massage is used to administer the oils and for its own benefits to your health and wellbeing. Over the years almost every culture has ‘re-discovered’ the magic of touch and formulated its own system of massaging and touching for health. Massage in its different forms is used to relieve stress, tension and emotional trauma, to heal physical damage to the muscles and the skeletal system and also as a profound and pleasant form of relaxation.
Benefits of Aromatherapy & Massage:
- Induces deep relaxation
- Can provide pain relief
- Can improve skin conditions
- Can release chronic neck and shoulder tension
- Can eliminate stress headaches
- Can improve congestion and sinus
- Can relieve back pain
- Assists the removal of waste products that accumulate in muscles after vigorous exercise to prevent soreness and aching
- Improves muscle tone; muscular
atrophy, due to enforced inactivity can be reduced. Sprains heal more readily
- Helps eliminate calf cramps and other muscle spasms
- Can prevent adhesions and break them down to effect greater mobility
- Can maximise the function of internal organs, directly or indirectly. Digestion, assimilation and elimination can be improved
- Can improve the detox function of the kidneys. The lymphatic system is flushed by mechanically eliminating toxins and waste
- Rejuvenate tired, aching or burning feet